Discussion Forum

Typedb server hangs

I’m a new user, working through the QuickStart process.

I’ve installed the latest java JDK (17). And downloaded typedb. When I start typedb server I get the following result:

However, no key input is accepted at this point. The next QuickStart step is to open the console (.\typedb console) but can’t be done without keyboard input.

If instead, I issue .\typedb console, I get the error message that the server is not running.

For what it’s worth, I’m using a fresh laptop, having just installed Windows 11.

Hi MikeM

What you see is really good. That shows you that the server is up and running. The server runs as a normal program and blocks the terminal where the server runs. That’s normal.
Please open a new terminal and type in .\typedb console
You will see a change to the console where you can perform the next steps.
Feel free to ask if you stuck somewhere.

HTH Frank

Frank:
Two terminals! Thanks much. It’s curious that the QuickStart instructions wouldn’t note to open a 2nd terminal.

The console now opens fine in the second terminal. I’ve created the social_network database. However, I’m having problems with (maybe) syntax.

Here’s the next step:
transaction social_network schema write
That seems to enter fine. But, within that transaction are these two lines:
social_network::schema::write> source path-to-the-social-
network/schema.tql
social_network::schema::write> commit

I cannot get the schema.tql file to be recognized.

I’m assuming that “path-to-the-social-network” should be replaced by the actual path, which is: C:\Users\mikei\OneDrive\Desktop\schema.tql

Here’s what I entered (all on one line):

transaction social_network schema write
social_network::schema::write> source
C:\Users\mikei\OneDrive\Desktop\schema.tql

Here’s the error message:

Failed to open file ‘C:UsersmikeiOneDriveDesktopschema.tql’

Note that the error message has removed the slashes from the path.

I don’t understand what’s going on here.

Not sure it’s relevant, but WIndows 11 places the Desktop under OneDrive, which is not the case in prior versions of WIndows.

Hi @MikeM , welcome!

I’ve added a note to the server start docs that says it runs in the foreground.

I think our console actually currently expects linux-style paths… let me check on that, that wouldn’t be very good if it does. IF you flip all the slashes around what happens??

Joshua:
Thanks for adding the server note.
Yes - flipping all the slashes works. The file schema.tql is recognized, “Concepts have been defined”, and “Transaction changes are committed”.
I guess you have mostly Linux users - perhaps another note is in order?
As for me, I’m a retired engineer with the opportunity to create a knowledge graph focusing on cognition and consciousness. I think your platform is outstanding - I’m delighted to be able to use it.
Mike

Ah to clarify - if you want to use windows style paths you’ll have to use double backslash \\ because a single backslash is an escape character! It’s actually in the docs here: https://github.com/vaticle/docs/blob/master/02-console/01-console.md#transaction-querying-commands

But i’ll add it to the quickstart as a note too!

Welcome to the community! Feel free to chat more interactively on our Discord server: Vaticle